Saturday, November 9, 2013

Word of the month 02/13

[04.02.2013, 22:36]
At first I'll give you an explanation what this topic means. Every month I choose a word that has a special meaning for me at the moment. This time it wasn't easy for my but I finally made a decision. The winner of the month is:



I think a definition of the word book isn't necessary, I hope all of you know what I mean. This is the word for the month February because I had to think of my old German teacher who said that books aren't objects because they have a soul and also because I wanted to blog about the books I read now, for a longer time. Two or three years ago I read one or two books a year but now I'm completely fascinated by reading. Do you read one book till the end and start then with the next one or do you read several books simultaneous? I'm a member of the second group. At the moment I have a big choice of different topics.

Patricia Soliman: COCO
I bought this book on eBay in July because I went to Paris in summer and I'm very interested in fashion. Unfortunately I'm pinned on page 182 and I really can't go on reading. It's breaking my heart. On the back of the book you can read: '... the career of Coco Chanel reads like a fairytale.' These words make me a bit angry. When Coco was a child, her dad left the family and her mother died. After a stony path she meets the man of her dreams -Boy Capel- and opens with his help, her first own shop. Without Coco's knowledge, he marries another woman because of his job. After everything is clear and everybody knows that Boy loves Coco for all that he has an accident with his car and dies. Now tell, where's the fairytale? I really can’t read it anymore. The book is full of emotions, all you could ever imagine. The story is told out of different perspectives, what makes it very interesting as well. It’s a story that couldn’t be more touching. A very great book but you really can’t compare Coco’s life with a fairytale!
Better than every Hollywood script!

Stafford Hildred, Tim Ewbank: Sir Jamie Oliver The Biography
I’m reading this book since three years now, but somehow it doesn’t get finished. It’s very well written and I had to smirk a lot but it was my first English book and it makes me feel like I had a lump in my throat. It’s a good tip for all Jamie Oliver fans, you adept a lot of things, you wouldn’t know without the book about Jamie’s life. And it also encourages because you find out our Jamie was a normal little boy as well. 

Selma Meerbaum - Eisinger: Ich bin in Sehnsucht eingehüllt [i]
A very good book of poetry, I did already a post about. And although I know nearly all poems by heart, I love reading them. It’s impossible such a young woman could do such a brilliant work with words and make them tell such a wonderful story. The texts don’t touch your heart, they touch you deep in your soul. There would be something missing without this book.

Trevor Clawson: Jamie Oliver: Erfolg nach Rezept [ii]
I got this exemplar last year and like the ‘real’ biography it contains a lot of aspects of my favourite cook’s life. Beside this it should be a guidebook for marketing and so on. The book is okay and the thing I like most is the link to Jamie.

W. H. Auden: Liebesgedichte [iii]
This is the second book of poetry in my actual reading list. I really like the fact, you can read the English version on the left page and the German one on the right. I haven’t read much but I prefer Selma Meerbaum – Eisinger’s poetry. But we’ll see!

Thorsten Havener, Dr. med. Michael Spitzbart: Denken Sie nicht an einen blauen Elefanten [iv]
Like most of the books I bought ‚Denken Sie nicht an einen blauen Elefanten‘ because I liked the topic or the cover or I just wanted to read a book. And I did this for the first few pages but then forgot it. Now I started reading again and I’m fascinated! It deals with the liberty or better the non-liberty of thoughts. When I’ve finished reading I don’t want to manipulate everybody but I’ve learned a lot of things not to change the first will later. The book is genius and I’m looking forward to finish it or buy the other books of Thorsten Havener as well.   
Which books do you read, have you any tips for me?
You can see all covers under the German version of this post ;)
_Marie_
Follow me on Facebook:



[i] I am engulfed in longing
[ii] Success after recipe
[iii] Love poems
[iv] Don’t think of a blue elephant

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving a comment here!
Colorful greetings & a wonderful day
.Marie. :)