Saturday, November 9, 2013

Glasses - the birthday model

[03.04.2013]
So, today you can read the second part of my birthday week. Because I announced to make a new pair of glasses for you a few weeks ago, I decided to do this for the special cause.
Actually the first glasses were made out of a stupid joke but because it needed so much time to tinker it, I wanted to share it with you. I anticipated with two or three clicks for this post but - I still can't believe it - it's my most read post. I get at least five clicks a week for it, at the beginning it were much more. So tell, what's better for my anniversary week than a remake of my 'bestseller'? (-> http://buntes-bonbon.blogspot.de/2012/07/brille-selbst-basteln.html )
Now we're starting. Underneath you can find a model for normal sized glasses, you only have to print it on a DIN A4 paper, put it on a piece of cardboard and draw around it. Of course you need the earpiece two times. The cutting-out is a bit dodgy but I’m sure you’ll make it. I took a cutter for it and please be careful! It’s not bad if you cut a bit more you have to or a bit less. If you’re ready with the border, take the two earpieces and stick them with duct tape at the left and the right hand side. Now prepare a few paper shavings and some glue for making a film of papier mâché and so you can’t see small irregularities in thickness anymore and all gets solider. If you’ve finished the first film, think of putting the earpieces in the right position, after drying you can’t move them. I’m searching for a possibility to change this for my glasses number three ;)



Drying needs a lot of time, probably the whole night but then you can continue at once.  Now you have to decide how your glasses should look at the end. If you want to bond them with coloured soft tissue (like my first one), you have to make a second film of papier mâché out of white paper, so you can’t see the newspaper anymore. If you want to paint them in different colours, do the same. But if you paint them monochromatically but want some structure just the same, take paper towels for the second film. For this you put the glue on the glasses and wrap it four or five times around and spot at the end a bit glue on the outside. Because you have so many thin films, the surface has some crinkles. 



Now dry it again and look at the right position of the earpieces again! Finally you can paint them and maybe put a bit glitter on it but now you’re phantasy can be boundless. Here you can see my artwork but I’m also very interested in yours. 



Take part at a small competition. Tinker your own glasses, send me a photo of them until the 30th of April at blog.buntes.bonbon@gmail.com send also your address and the link of your blog if you have one. You have to become fan of my facebook page as well. You can take part from everywhere, it doesn’t matter where you live. The winner gets a surprise packet. The winner will be chosen by a jury and of course I’ll post the best glasses here as well. Good luck!
_Marie_
Follow me on Facebook:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving a comment here!
Colorful greetings & a wonderful day
.Marie. :)